There are so many different types of band available right now and trying to search for one good band seems to be a difficult task. There always seems to be a band that is better than the other, a band that is more experienced than the other and a band that is cheaper than the other! When facing such problems, you often find yourself asking, “What band should I go for?”
The moment you typed in Google in an attempt to search for a band, there are probably hundred of articles or advertisement popping out screaming “HIRE ME”. With so many jazz bands for hire, here are some tips on booking a band:
• Music. Picking a music you like is good, however catering the music to the people that are attending your event would be more practical.
• Size of band required. Determine the size of band you require for your event as you do not wish to have a one-man band at a large corporate event. The standard size
of a band is usually four or five members.
• Break time. It is always good to check the break time the band members needed before hiring them! If the band requires frequent long breaks, you might want to look for other bands that are more flexible in break times.
• Location of the band. If the band stays at another region, it usually cost you more to hire them as you have to pay for their transportation fees or even accommodation fees as well. The last thing you want is to exceed your budget when you could have hired someone nearer to the venue of the event.
• Specify the type of music you want for your event. Different bands specialise in playing different kind of music (pop, rock, jazz), therefore you need to specify what you require from them and probably ask for a sample recording from them.
• Finding a band that play together often. This is a must as band members bond their teamwork through playing together. Band members that perform together frequently sound much better as compared to a bunch of musicians thrown together.
• Backups of the band. The band should have some extra members that are ready to take over the job should any of their band members are unable to perform on that day itself.
It is important for you to know what you expect from the band, and for the band to know what you expect from them. This is because a band usually cost a lot; therefore it is not wise to spend your money on a band that will not perform a satisfactory performance for your event.